Monday, November 21, 2005

Sore Losers Part Two


(EyesOfBlue vs. NN)
(FICS Nov. 2005)
(White to Move, Mate in Two)

I posted a couple weeks ago complaining about poor losers -- most particularly people who abandon clearly lost games.

I was kind of surprised by the backlash I got. Many people felt that my frustrations and anger were both unjustified. Many www.chessgames.com users were particularly hard on me -- complaining I was the one who should apologize.

The problem to the left is not rocket science. White is clearly ahead, but there's a pretty clear mate-in-two. 1. Qxa6 bxa6. 2. Rxa6#. I caught black (who once again will remain nameless in case he was just having a "bad day") totally off guard. Well, I saw the (relatively easy) winning move and played 1. Qxa6. Black had exactly 4 minutes and 16 seconds on his clock (I was playing 2 12 on FICS, nonetheless!).

What happened?

Well, I sat there for 4 minutes and 16 seconds as NN let the clock run down to zero. Round about the third minute, my anger just boiled over. "There is one legal move. . . can you please make it or resign?!" No answer. "I'll give you a hint, it involves using your pawn to capture a piece." Again, no answer.

To all my earlier critics, I present Exhibit B in the growing array of evidence I have against poor online chess players. Does this kind of behavior not bother anyone else? Am I the only one who calls people out on this kind of stuff?

5 Comments:

At 4:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A variant of these poor losers is the one who logs off and hopes that you logoff too and then he logs in back and so you lose by time default. I was a victim of this scalawag.

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger Craig said...

it's even worse OTB...i've had a position where i'm up a rook and had a pawn one square away from promoting and the guy sat for *15 minutes*...i guess he was trying to find a way out but come on

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

at yahoo games people would start a table with time 10 0 and you'd join and they'd change the time to 1 0 and hope you didn't notice (because you'd have to hit "start game").
Just another form of cheating...its been a long time since I played at yahoo though so this may not still happen.

 
At 7:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even worse are those who let the clock run and run and run then make a move with one second left hoping that you will not be paying attention anymore.

I agree, those people are scum who seek to win with dubious skills other than their chess ability.

 
At 3:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can see how this would cause fustration. Patience, however, in chess is a virtue. If I was in that situation I would just let him run down his clock and claim the win and after the game show him the mating sequence just in case he thought he could get out of it. At least you would hope next time a similar position arrives he would resign or not spend so much time thinking about it.

 

Post a Comment

<< BACK TO THE REST OF THE SITE!